ORANGE SQUASH CLUB
Love a competitive game of squash? A friendly social hit? Or are you just learning to play?
Orange Squash Club offers an extensive range of programs for squash enthusiasts of all levels, from beginners to pros, adults and kids. No matter what your age or level of experience.
The action was faster than a cupcake disappearing at a Weight Watchers meeting during the Wednesday night mixed squash competition.
Team 4 Elliot upset Team 1 Atkinson with wins for Glenn Atkinson, Steve Bigg, Steve Elliot, Hamish Callander, Dave Neil and Scott Shepherd. Hendrik Esterhuizen won well while Brendan Stuart and James Cole played out a mighty battle with Stuart hanging on to win in the fifth game.
Team 2 Brearley lost to Team 3 Howarth in a tie where Grant Michell looked well out of his league during his loss. There were wins for Tim Howarth, Scott Baker, Peter Brearley, Tony Elliot, Mitch Newham, Lyle Davis and Yvonne Tracey, while Darren Wooding’s birthday celebration was halted by a ruthless Belinda Thurtell who blew out his candles by winning in five games.
Team 6 Kidson fell over the line against Team 5 Mahlo with wins for Lindsay Mahlo, Kynan Baker, Chris Elkington, Graham Kidson, CJ Rademeyer, Steve Blackwood and Jacob Wooding, while Nathan Kelly showed Backstreet is well and truly back by storming home from two games down against wily veteran Rod Bevan. Morgan Mahlo and Mick Keegan played out an amazing match lasting one hour and twenty five minutes, with Mahlo sneaking home in the end to leave the large crowd flabbergasted.
Photo L Belinda Thurtell R Darren Wooding
The intensity scale was reading ten out of ten during the Wednesday night mixed squash competition. Team 1 Cavalli destroyed Team 6 Wooding with wins for Glenn Atkinson, Frank Cavalli, Nathan Garton, Robert Ryan, Chris Grant, James Cole , Jacob Wooding and Kynan Baker while the teacher became the student as Dave the Neil deal Neil put the brakes on Oranges premier driving instructor Graham Kidson with Dave claiming the victory in four games.
Team 2 Daquino hammered Team 5 Dickson with wins for George Eleftheriou, Jarrod Collett, Peter Hanlon, Mitch Newham, Lyle Davis, Lachie Dickson, Charles Daquino and Belinda Thurtell played great for her win while the uncanny Peter Brearley hung on to beat Nathan Backstreet Kelly in an epic match.
Team 4 Bigg upset Team 3 Elliot with wins for an ungracious Grant Michell, Steve Elliot, Chris Muir, Hamish Callander, Dave Wooding ,Brendan Stuart, CJ Rademeyer and Steve Bigg beat the temperamental Tim Howarth in four games. Brock the cannon Gannon will have to get back on the training track after fading badly against the Dubbo demon Tony Elliot going down in four mammoth games.
Grand final is this Thursday Night. Congrats to the teams who have made it into the grand final (and also to those who jagged a grand final spot as a sub 😂 myself included).
The match ups in the GF for the Wednesday Night comp are:
Team 5 VS Team 3
Grant Michell v Glenn Atkinson (sub for Toby Baker)
Morgan Mahlo v Tim Howarth
Steve Elliott v Scott Baker (sub for Frank Cavalli)
Kynan Baker v Jarrod Collett
Chris Elkington v Brock Gannon
Judd Felsher v Albert Cavalli
Rory Daburger v Scott Shepherd
Sonya Fitzgerald v Yvonne Tracey
Tom Hickman v Tom Belmonte
Also a couple of things for everyone to be aware of:
- The new comps commence next week (Wednesday 11th and Thursday 12th September). The new comps will run for 10 rounds plus semis/grand finals
- The Wednesday night comp is full at 60 players and we will not be taking any more players. Given the larger numbers we are reviewing how the comp runs so once details are confirmed we’ll advise.
- If you’d like to join the Thursday Night comp (or know someone who is interested) please speak to John Hannan. Alternatively if you know someone who cannot make it every week but would like to have to join our reserve list please let George and myself know.
- At the conclusion of the next comp we will be holding out Club Championship which will run the last week of November and the first 2 weeks of December.
- Don’t forget our juniors still run each Sunday from 10am-12pm and is only $5 per person!
- We’ve also been advised of the upcoming Springwood Open being held 28 & 29 September. Places are limited so if you’re keen let me know and we can put in some nominations!
If you’re free Thursday night feel free to come down and watch the teams battle it out. As always we’ll head to the Western for some supper and light hearted refreshments once everything is finished!
Orange Squash Club Committee Member