Squash update after week 4
So another week down and we’re nearly at the halfway point of the winter comp. A couple of things to update everyone on:
1. As of this Sunday 29th July we’ll be commencing our ‘Orange Squash Club Inc Social Hitting Club’. Going forward every Sunday afternoon between 1pm and 3pm members have the opportunity to come down and participate in some training drills, have a hit with club members who you may not get to hit with (either because you’re on a different line or play in a different comp) and meet some new people.
For financial club members it will be a flat fee of $10 p/person for up to 2 hours squash. Also if you would like to bring along a friend or family member who isn’t currently a club member or playing in the comp (but may be looking to join in next comp) invite them down for a flat fee of $15 p/person. The goal is to build networks within the club, improve your game and have a bit of fun. If you are keen to hit this Sunday, send a reply email and let me know so we can start planning some squash drills etc for the day. Upon completing of our training session feel free to join us at Kellys pub for a light refreshment!
2. In the past two weeks (unfortunately) we have seen a few forfeits sneak through. Obviously this is not what we want (simply because it’s not fair on your team members OR your opponent on the night). We have also seen in the last two weeks players texting George or myself at 5pm (or later) on comp day to advise that you can not make comp which is also not ideal. I realise that sometimes things are out of our control but can we please get into the habit of following this process if you are unable to play on comp night:
- Make contact with your opponent and arrange to play early (prior to match day). This can even be done if you know you’re away in a couple of weeks time. I.e I cannot play someone in 2 weeks time because I am on holiday but I’ll also be away the weekend before comp. No probs- arrange the match this week and text George and I to confirm the result. Maybe use the Club Social Hitting time slot on Sunday afternoons as an opportunity to play the match early!
- If you cannot get your match played early, the second step is to look at the draw and arrange for someone on your line to fill in for you. If you cannot find a sub on your line, ask someone from the line below to fill in. This will be a great opportunity for someone on the line below- it gives that person an opportunity to play up a line and improve their game.
- If this cannot be arranged (which should not be the case) it is your responsibility to contact your team captain as a last resort. They will face the same challenges as you to find a sub so see what you can come up with first. This must be done at least a day in advance to give them time to work something out.
- Finally once you have arranged the sub for your match please text George on 0401 906 930 and advise him of the details.
3. Here are the results after week 4! A couple of shout outs so far. Top individual point scorer- Bob Ryan (congrats mate). The consistency awards go to Rod Bevan & Matt Wilson (having the same amount of points each week so far), to Team 2 who currently lead the comp and also a shout out to Pat Clarkestone, Charlie Daquino, Albert Cavalli, Mark Goes and Tim Howarth who have remained consistent OR improved on their performance each week!
|Orange Squash Club Inc Winter Squash Comp|
|Team 1||Week 1||Week 2||Week 3||Week 4||Week 5||Week 6||Week 7||Total|
|Team 1 Total||32||19||22||19||0||0||0||92|
|Team 2 Total||22||32||24||30||0||0||0||108|
|Team 3 Total||26||30||21||17||0||0||0||94|
|Team 4 Total||26||14||28||30||0||0||0||98|
|Team 5 Total||16||34||25||22||0||0||0||97|
|Team 6 Total||23||17||21||27||0||0||0||88|
Hope to see you there Sunday!
Orange Squash Club Committee Member